||x86_Linux Servers/Linux ARM&MIPS (IoT)
[/vc_wp_text][vc_column_text]Gitpaste-12 is a wormable malware which has the ability to form a network of bots for crypto-mining. Gitpaste-12 is also capable of cracking passwords via brute-forcing and using exploits for known vulnerabilities on infected hosts. The malware uses GitHub and Pastebin to host its code and payload. Pastebin is used as a Command and Control (C&C) to control its victims.
As part of defence evasion, the malware disables firewalls, monitoring solutions, Linux AppArmor etc., to prepare the environment for further compromise. It also targets lower-end systems of ARM and MIPS, especially IoT devices.
Known vulnerabilities targeted by the malware
||Webadmin plugin for opendreambox
||HiSilicon based IPTV/H.264/H.265 video encoder
||Miniigd SOAP service in Realtek SDK
||UPnP in dlink routers
||Netlink GPON Router
||AVTECH IP Camera
Note: EBD-ID : Exploit Database ID
- Miner module
- Hide.so defense evasion module
- Miner Config
- Shell Script
- Unauthorized access to filesystem and operating system functionalities.
- Disables security solutions without users’ consent, thus creating false sense of security.
- Unauthorized resource consumption for crypto mining.
- Performance loss of servers and other assets due to excessive crypto-mining.
- Violation of confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information systems leading to loss of trust and reputation.
- Cost of remediation to “clean” the infected systems.
- Deployment of Host based Intrusion Detection and Prevention System (IDPS).
- Strict firewall filtering.
- Updated monitoring tools and Endpoint detection and response (EDR) solutions.
- Effective traffic control and monitoring.
- Effective resource usage monitoring.
Indicators of Compromise (IOCs)